Sintel - project Durian - is Blender Foundations third Open Movie, produced in the studio of the Blender Institute in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
In total 12 artists and three developers were invited to come over to Amsterdam for almost a year to create this fantasy action-based 3D short movie with Blender. Lead by renowned Blender artists Colin Levy (direction) and David Revoy (art direction) and with a script from Esther Wouda - based on ideas from famous Dutch cartoonist Martin Lodewijk - and music by Jan Morgenstern, this has been an exciting project!
Just like project Orange, and Peach and Apricot, the end result itself and all of the production files are being published under the Creative Commons, free to be reused and for everyone to learn from. More importantly, the team has challenged Blender itself to the max, inspiring the developer community to prove Blender is ready for feature quality 3D production. Special attention has been spent on animation techniques, smoke/fire simulations, Global Illumination, sculpting, micro detail rendering, and getting the new Blender 2.5 well tested and improved.
You can help us to realize projects like this by purchasing the DVD box edition of Sintel.
In the quadruple disk DVD box you will find:
Preview: Angela Guenette tutorial on facial poses
Preview: Colin Levy tutorial on setting up render and compositing
DVD 1: NTSC (4 GB)
- Sintel film (15m)
- Documentary by Ali Boubred (60m)
- Outtakes, with commentary videos by Colin (11m)
- 8 commentary tracks (director, writer, composer, rigger, entire team, animators, render team, coders)
- 8 subtitle languages (en, de, es, fr, it, nl, pl, pt)
- Special DVD credit scroll
DVD 2: PAL (8 GB)
- Same structure as NTSC disc
- Additional 4 GB of studio data
DVD 3: Extras (8 GB)
- Html interface to browse the contents
- Sintel film in HD (5.1 and stereo mp4)
- Ali Boubred documentary in HD
- 29 tutorial videos, by 10 people, almost 5 hours.
- 4-split video of film, in storyboard, directors layout, opengl animation, final.
- High resolution artwork (incl poster, 4k renders)
- David Revoy concept art gallery
- Weeklies gallery + fun avi tests
- Esther Wouda on script progress and article on the screenplay
- the Live Edit: Blender sequencer with every shot as avi + grading setup
- Blender 2.5 render branch binaries
- OpenEXR originals from the render farm, 1 for every shot (220)
DVD 4: Data (8 GB)
- Full export of the production svn, all models, textures, animation & shot .blend files
- Renderfarm software (py scripts)
- Planning board files, breakdown
Visit the durian.blender.org blog for more information about this project.